Our advisory service for students

You are facing (new) questions and challenges in your studies at the Folkwang University of the Arts and need help?
We will be pleased to advice you on your issues:

Student Advisory Service & academic advisory services

In the Central Student Advisory Service Annemarie Döpper and Nora Naujoks provides advice on:

_study planning and organisation
_formal questions about the study
_formal questions about the study
_special situation of international students
_transition to post-graduate study courses at Folkwang
_maternity protection for students
_and much more..

For further information see:


In the facultiesthe teaching staff can provide academic advice on:

_questions relating to their field of study

(in particular the study programme coordinators and specialised sections’ speakers).

AStA (General Student Committee)

The AStA management provides advice on:

_general issues of the Student Body (e.g. semester ticket in the holiday semester)
_student co-determination and committee work in the university
_individual predicaments of students
_Legal advice in cooperation with the AStA of the UDE


The AStA department ‚Internationales‘ helps with:

_international students’ questions regarding studying and living in Germany
_international students' filling out forms & visiting the authorities (e.g. for residence registration, opening of bank accounts or visa application)


For further information see:

Career Service

Besides her course programme Stefanie Melters of the Career Service also provides you with advisory and coaching formats:

_teachers advise you on topics of their courses
_external artists and creatives support you with their expertise in individual or team coachings on different job entry fields


For further information see: (in German only)

Funding & financial advisory services

Regarding Funding Elina Thier provides advice on:

_financial questions relating to your studies and to individual predicaments of students
_Folkwangscholarships & competitions
_project funding

For further information see: (in German only)


Regarding financing the Studierendenwerke (student service providers) advice and support you on:

_questions and issues relating to study financing (also individual predicaments)
_financing in accordance with BAföG (Federal Education & Training Assistance Act)
_mediation of loans & the KfW-Banking Group student loan

For further information see: [Essen & Duisburg] [Bochum]

Equal Opportunity Office & Studying with family

The Central Equal Opportunity OfficerNina Kaiser provides advice on:

_equal opportunities for women and men and beyond
_removing structural obstacles & implementing equality-relevant ideas

For further information see:


In the Family ServiceNina Kaiser provides advice on:

_questions regarding the compatibility of studying and family life (e.g. financing and care options)
_family-friendly university development

For further information see the webpage of the Family Service (in German only)

Studying with disability


Annemarie Döpper, the representative for students with disability or chronic illness, provides advice on:

_individual compensations for disadvantage suffered
_questions regarding the compatibility of studies and disability


For further information see:

Protection against sexual harassment

The external counselling service offers you anonymously:

_help & information concerning your rights when feeling sexually harassed
(including suspicion of a transgression and/or discrimination)


Contact: +49 (0)201 8621212 or ombudsstelle(at)


For further information see the webpage of the counselling service against sexual harassment

Person of trust

If you have any problems or conflicts relating to the Folkwang University of the Arts, person of trust Isabel Schamuhn will be able to help you quickly find a suitable solution through a consultation in person, by telephone or by email. The support is free of charge and tailored to your specific needs. Isabel Schamuhn is able to advise you on problems, moderate in the event of conflicts or assist you in difficult situations.


For further information see the webpage of person of trust.

Social Advice & Counselling

The Studierendenwerk Essen-Duisburg (student service provider of Essen and Duisburg) advices and supports you in:

_difficult situations concerning life in general and/or studying
_e.g. conflicts, emotional issues, self-doubt, anxiety about the future or feeling overwhelmed


For further information see:

Racism-critical consulting

If you wish to report specific racist incidents occurring in the context of the Folkwang University of the Arts or talk about stress caused by racial discrimination, contact racism-critical consultant Pamela Aryeh


The consultation is free of charge and tailored to your individual needs. All information you share is fully protected under confidentiality and privacy laws.


Further information is available at the racism-critical consulting website.

Life and Perspective Counselling in an Artistic Context

In the 'Life and Perspective Counselling in an Artistic Context', students from all faculties have the opportunity to discuss their individual concerns. 


In the counselling, Mr Ralph Siegmund is available as an independent counsellor; the contents of the discussions are confidential and subject to absolute secrecy.


Ralph Siegmund has spent almost twenty years counselling trainees and students within an educational centre. Against the background of his own artistic activities and experience in the fields of painting, theatre and literature, he advises students during the lecture period on Fridays by appointment at the Essen-Werden campus from 12.00 to 14.30. In urgent cases, it is also possible to make an appointment outside the time offered; talks can also take place by telephone.


Appointments can be made by e-mail (ralph.siegmund(at)