International applicants and students

In Germany for studies – and at Folkwang?

With more than 35% international students, the Folkwang University of the Arts unites the various branches and disciplines of the arts under one roof and at the same time makes connections between very different countries. With the following brief information, we would like to guide you as international applicant or student on the right path to the university and the appropriate contact person and topic information respectively.

You would like to come to us at Folkwang for…

…a complete study course?
You would like to start an undergraduate or postgraduate study course and receive a degree? The Student Advisory Service is the correct contact for you for questions on studying and the application process. The teaching staff provides academic advice on special, subject-specific questions and on artistic aptitude. Please note: At Folkwang only German-medium study-courses are offered.
General information on the application is available here:
and special application information for international applicants here:

…for exchange studies?
You would like to study at Folkwang within the frame of an exchange or scholarship programme (e.g. ERASMUS+) for a limited period of time without obtaining a degree? The worldwide exchange activities are being coordinated by the International Office, which is happy to answer your questions on this. Information international exchange students:

…for a Phd programm or Habilitation?
You would like to do a PhD programme or habilitation at Folkwang? As a first step you need to autonomously look for a supervising professor of the respective PhD/habilitation subject and bindingly agree upon your scientific topic with her*him. More information on the possibilities is available here:

You are already studying at Folkwang…

…and still have questions?

International students can find many useful tips and information on the stay in Germany and life as a student on the site „Student Life“ i.a. on the topics:
_Health insurance
_Intercultural exchange
You can also make use of the whole range of advisory services of the Folkwang University of the Arts and its partner institutions regarding question and issues about studying.

Useful links for studying in Germany:

_German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD):
_Study in Gemany:
_Deutsches Studentenwerk: 
_German Rector’s Conference: Higher Education Compass:
_Federal Ministry of Education and Research:
_Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs:
_Federal Association of Foreign Students (BAS):
_German Accreditation Council: