Anti-Discrimination & Equal Opportunity at the Folkwang University of the Arts
At the Folkwang University of the Arts, we see our equal opportunities mandate as a key task. We actively pursue the goal of creating working and living conditions for everyone that are free from all types of biases and discrimination. To this end we are constantly evaluating which measures are best suitable for increasing the equality of opportunity in all areas of university life.
Our work will only be successful if we examine the structures at our university self-critically in order to ask ourselves what mechanisms of inclusion or exclusion are at work here. This way we can learn to recognize different kinds of inequality at the university. We can then develop appropriate measures in the areas of equal opportunity, anti-discrimination and the balancing of studies, work and personal life.
If it is to be successful, equal opportunity and anti-discrimination work must adjust itself to the individual differences of our employees and our students. For this reason we are applying to our mission an intersectional definition of equality – which in our line of work has traditionally been focused exclusively on the category of gender – that encompasses other categories such as ethnicity, class, sexual orientation and disability which can overlap in various ways.
In everyday university life we deal with questions such as the following:
- What measures have are best suited to improve the ratio of female to male professors?
- How do we remove gender bias from our hiring process?
- How can we best support members of our university who do care work?
- Which services do we need to provide so that our anti-discrimination work can be preventive instead of merely reactive?
- How can we promote gender and equal opportunity research and anchor it in artistic teaching and practice?
- What is the best way to promote young female artists and scientists?
- How can we support women at the university who do committee work?
If you have any questions about our work, would like to make a suggestion or need advice, please click on "Contacts & Advice". Here you will find a list of people and positions at Folkwang that deal with anti-discrimination and equal opportunity issues.