Professional Media Creation (Master of Arts)

Basic info & Application

  • Institute: Institute for Computer Music and Electronic Media (ICEM)
  • Degree: Master of Arts (M.A.)
  • Standard period of study: 4 semesters full-time
  • Workload: 120 ECTS Credits
  • Language of instruction: German
  • Provider: Folkwang University of the Arts in cooperation with the SAE Institute Bochum
  • Programme start: Each winter semester in October

Admission requirements

_A professional qualification first university degree which the Master study course is based on. Official database on the equivalence of international educational achievements:

_Evidence of artistic aptitude

Language requirements

_Applicants have to verify proof of language level B1 with enrolment.


_The required levels of language skills at Folkwang University of the Arts are in accordance to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).


_No tuition fees are charged at Folkwang.


_SAE Institute: Monthly tuition fees. More information here


_Each semester all students have to pay a social contribution for the services of the Student Union, a student contribution for the work of the AStA (General Student Committee) and the VRR/NRW ticket. A breakdown of the amounts plus information on how to pay is available here.


Folkwang actively supports the call of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities to train people with disabilities as artists and therefore particularly welcomes applications for the guest student programme, regular study courses and requests for inclusive cooperation projects. Prospective students should make use of the possibility of a counselling meeting with the  Representative for students with disability or chronic illness in advance.

Application documents

For the study course “Professional Media Creation” you will need the following documents:

_Curriculum Vitae in tabular form (desired)

_Passport photograph (optional)

_Written design (project plan) for an artistic development project

_A portfolio if applicable

Send your application to the course administrator Ina Arendt - SAE Institute (E-Mail)


Please note: We must have received your application documents in paper form not later than the application deadline June 15th.

Aptitude test

The date for the aptitude test will be announced in due time. Please note that you will have to be on site for the aptitude test.

The assessment of your artistic aptitude takes place through a presentation of up to 30 minutes, in which you present your works and concept (project plan). It is followed by a colloquium, which also lasts up to 30 minutes. The colloquium involves a discussion of your motivation of study, plans and aims, own works and previous professional activities.


Only after you have successfully applied for a study place is your last step in the application process enrolment. Enrolment takes place at the end of September for the start of studies in October and at the end of March for the start of studies in April. Please refer to your letter of admission for the exact period and information on the procedure.


You must provide the following document for enrolment:


_completed application for enrolment AND Folkwang Card (you received both applications together with your certificate of admission)

_Evidence of a German health insurance OR an exemption from the compulsory health insurance (i.e. recognition of your foreign health insurance by a statutory health insurance in Germany – refer to information provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in this regard)

_The original OR certified copy of the general university entrance qualification certificate (a certified German translation is essential for such certificates acquired abroad)

_If not already provided during the application procedure: Language qualification for the language entrance level required in the study course (only required if you did not acquire your university entrance qualification in Germany). The table provides you with an initial overview of all language requirements. Further information on language qualifications at Folkwang is available on the 'German as a foreign language (GFL)' page.

_Evidence of payment of the semester contribution