Academic Studies

Art and Design Science (Master of Arts)

Basic info & Application

  • Faculty: 4
  • Degree: Master of Arts (M.A.)
  • Standard period of study: 4 semesters
  • Workload: 120 ECTS Credits
  • Language of instruction: German
  • Provider: Folkwang University of the Arts
  • Programme start: Each winter semester in October

Admission requirements

_Bachelor study course degree or at least a three-year university course in the areas of design, art or related humanities and social science subjects (including teaching study and architecture courses) with an overall grade of 2.5 or above (official database on the equivalence of international educational achievements:

_Evidence of programme specific aptitude by passing the aptitude test at the Folkwang University of the Arts.


_Please note: Good knowledge of the English language is indispensable for a study course incorporating transdisciplinary principles.

Language requirements

_Applicants have to verify proof of language level DSH 2 with enrolment.


_The required levels of language skills at Folkwang University of the Arts are in accordance to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).


_For questions regarding language certificates, please contact Stefanie Melters (melters(at)


_No application fee is charged for your application for M.A. Art and Design Studies.


_No tuition fees are charged at Folkwang.


_Each semester all students have to pay a social contribution for the services of the Student Union, a student contribution for the work of the AStA (General Student Committee) and the VRR/NRW ticket. A breakdown of the amounts plus information on how to pay is available here.

Application documents

Please note: We must have received your application documents in paper form not later than the application deadline 31st may for following winter semester.


For the study course “Art and Design Studies” you will need the following documents:

_Application to participate in the qualifying examination (For applications to start in the winter semester the form is open from 15. January to the deadline on 31. May)



_One passport photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm)

_Leaving certificate (simple copy) of last attended school

_Leaving certificate or certificate of enrolment of your former university/ies

_If applicable, certificate of foreign university entrance examination such as APS certificate / American College Test (ACT) / College Scholastic Ability Test / University Entrance Examination Center Test (simple copy) or other international educational achievements (simple copy) that constitute a university entrance qualification for Germany such as completed periods of studies; country-specific information:


_Covering letter


_Letter of motivation (one page)


_A 30.000 character essay on a collection, exhibition or scientific position concerned with themes of aesthetics, design or art; written in German


Send your application to:


Folkwang Institut für Kunst- und Designwissenschaft

Prof. Dr. Cordula Meier

z. Hdn.: Prüfungsamt, Sonja Zenker

Campus Welterbe Zollverein | Quartier Nord

Martin-Kremmer-Straße 21

D-45327 Essen

Aptitude test

Your aptitude is determined in a two-stage process. A first selection is made on the basis of your submitted text. All applicants who are deemed apt, will be invited to take part in the aptitude test. Please note that you have to be on site for the second part of the aptitude test.


The aptitude test on site consists of an approx. 15 – 30 min. interview.


Details on the process can be found here:


Nr. 158 | Ordnung zur Feststellung der besonderen Eignung für den gemeinsamen Master-Studiengang Kunst- und Designwissenschaft an der Universität Duisburg-Essen und der Folkwang Universität der Künste vom 22. April 2013


Only after you have successfully applied for a study place is your last step in the application process enrolment. Enrolment takes place at the end of September for the start of studies in October and at the end of March for the start of studies in April. Please refer to your letter of admission for the exact period.


You must provide the following document for enrolment:


_completed application for enrolment AND Folkwang Card (you received both applications together with your certificate of admission)

_Evidence of a German health insurance OR an exemption from the compulsory health insurance (i.e. recognition of your foreign health insurance by a statutory health insurance in Germany – refer to information provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in this regard)

_The original OR certified copy of the general university entrance qualification certificate (a certified German translation is essential for such certificates acquired abroad)

_If not already provided during the application procedure: Language qualification for the language entrance level required in the study course (only required if you did not acquire your university entrance qualification in Germany). The table provides you with an initial overview of all language requirements. Further information on language qualifications at Folkwang is available on the 'German as a foreign language (GFL)' page.

_Evidence of payment of the semester contribution