Application “Musicology” (B. Mus.)
On this page you will find information on the application and the aptitude test as well as on the documents you will need to provide at the time of enrolment, if your application is successful.
Application | Registration
For the study course “Musicology” you will need the following documents:
- Application to participate in the qualifying examination
- One passport photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm)
- Leaving certificate (simple copy) of last attended school
- Where applicable leaving certificate or certificate of enrolment of your former university/ies
- When changing the university/study programme or resuming your studies (in each of these cases) on the same study cycle with the same main subject (instrument/voice): Transcript of Records of the previous studies (simple copy)
- If applicable, certificate of foreign university entrance examination such as APS certificate / American College Test (ACT) / College Scholastic Ability Test / University Entrance Examination Center Test (simple copy) or other international educational achievements (simple copy) that constitute a university entrance qualification for Germany such as completed periods of studies; country-specific information: http://anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html
- Receipt for payment of the application fee (bank statement)
- in combination with an artistic subject: should you not bring your own répétiteur for the aptitude test, piano music sheets for the Folkwang répétiteur
Please note: We must have received your application documents in paper form not later than the application deadline March 15th (for the following winter semester).
For your application a fee of € 50 is due.
If you apply for multiple study courses simultaneously, the fee is € 50 for the first application and € 15 for every additional study course. The amount will be automatically calculated and shown to you in the application form.
The aptitude test for the study course Musicology usually takes place in the first weeks of May. Please note that you will have to be on site for the aptitude test.
The Aptitude consists of different parts:
- A general music theory test
- A colloquium on music-related communication and presentation ability
- If you chose a second artistic subject: An additional aptitude test in regard to your desired major as well as an ungraded piano test, if applicable
The Aptitude test is based on your desired major. Detailed information can be found in the subject-specific application regulations.
A sample test to help you prepare for the theory test:
Documents for enrolment
- Completed application form for enrolment (send to you by mail after having successfully passed the aptitude test)
- Completed application form for Folkwang Card (send to you by mail after having successfully passed the aptitude test)
- Proof of existing health insurance
- Certified copy of leaving certificate of your last attended school (certified translation where applicable)
- Evidence of sufficient language skills, if you did not acquire your qualification for university entrance in Germany
- Proof of payment of the social contribution
If you have any questions regarding the enrolment process, please contact: