Application “French-German study course Musicology” (B.A., Licence)
On this page you will find information on the application and the aptitude test as well as on the documents you will need to provide at the time of enrolment, if your application is successful.
Application | Registration
For the study course “French-German study course Musicology” you will need the following documents:
- Application to participate in the qualifying examination (open from 16. November to the deadline on 15. March)
- One passport photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm)
- Leaving certificate (simple copy) of last attended school
- Where applicable leaving certificate or certificate of enrolment of your former university/ies
- If applicable, certificate of foreign university entrance examination such as APS certificate / American College Test (ACT) / College Scholastic Ability Test / University Entrance Examination Center Test (simple copy) or other international educational achievements (simple copy) that constitute a university entrance qualification for Germany such as completed periods of studies; country-specific information: http://anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html
- Receipt for payment of the application fee (bank statement)
Please note: We must have received your application documents in paper form not later than the application deadline 15th March (Essen) for the following winter semester. Application deadline Tours: 20th May.
For your application a fee of € 50 is due.
If you apply for multiple study courses simultaneously, the fee is € 50 for the first application and € 15 for every additional study course. The amount will be automatically calculated and shown to you in the application form.
The aptitude test in Essen for the French-German study course Musicology usually takes place at the end of May/early June. Please note that you will have to be on site for the aptitude test.
The aptitude test consists of two parts:
- Written music theory test: Evidence shall be provided of the basic understanding of general music theory as well as the ability to hear and recognise elementary melodical, rhythmic and formal contexts.
- Colloquium: Candidates must provide evidence that they are able to develop approaches to their own conceptual notions on music and musicology in relation to the requirements in subsequent vocational fields. A part of the colloquium will be in French (or German for French applicants respectively).
- This evidence may be provided by the candidates presenting a work, a composer or an epoch they have chosen themselves.
A sample test to help you prepare for the theory test can be found here:
Documents for enrolment
- Completed application form for enrolment (send to you by mail after having successfully passed the aptitude test)
- Completed application form for Folkwang Card (send to you by mail after having successfully passed the aptitude test)
- Proof of existing health insurance
- Certified copy of leaving certificate of your last attended school (certified translation where applicable)
- Evidence of sufficient language skills, if you did not acquire your qualification for university entrance in Germany
- Proof of payment of the social contribution
If you have any questions regarding the enrolment process, please contact: