Academic Studies

Music Teaching at Secondary (Modern) and Comprehensive Schools (Master of Education)

Basic info & Application

  • Faculty: 2
  • Degree: Master of Education (M.Ed.)
  • Standard period of study: 4 semesters
  • Workload: 120 ECTS Credits
  • Language of instruction: German
  • Provider: Folkwang University of the Arts
  • Programme start: Each winter semester in October and each summer semester in April

Study options (Central subjects) - currently in german only

Als Zentrales Fach sind folgende Optionen wählbar:


_klassischer Gesang




_Schwerpunktsetzung in historischer und zeitgenössischer einschließlich populärer Musik und Jazz möglich.


_Viola da Gamba

Admission requirements

_Evidence of a completed bachelor study course School Music Teaching for the relevant school form (official database on the equivalence of international educational achievements:


In the Master's degree study courses with a teaching option, only those subjects can be continued in which a degree has already been obtained in the previous study course.

_Evidence of artistic aptitude or outstanding artistic talent respectively by passing the aptitude test at the Folkwang University of the Arts.

Language requirements

_Applicants have to verify proof of language level DSH 2 with enrolment.


_The required levels of language skills at Folkwang University of the Arts are in accordance to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).


_For questions regarding language certificates, please contact Stefanie Melters (melters(at)


_50 € application feeFor your application a fee of € 50 is due. If you apply for multiple study courses simultaneously, the fee is € 50 for the first application and € 15 for every additional study course. The amount will be automatically calculated and shown to you in the application form.


_No tuition fees are charged at Folkwang.


_Each semester all students have to pay a social contribution for the services of the Student Union, a student contribution for the work of the AStA (General Student Committee) and the VRR/NRW ticket. A breakdown of the amounts plus information on how to pay is available here.

Application documents

Please note: We must have received your application documents in paper form not later than the application deadline March 15th (for the following winter semester) an November 15th (for the following summer semester).


For the study course “Music Teaching” you will need the following documents:

_Application to participate in the qualifying examination (For applications to start in the summer semester the form is open from 1. October to the deadline on 15. November and to start in the winter semester the form is open from 15. January to the deadline on 15. March.)



_One passport photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm)

_Leaving certificate (simple copy) of last attended school

_Leaving certificate or certificate of enrolment of your former university/ies

_Receipt for payment of the application fee (bank statement)

_If applicable, certificate of foreign university entrance examination such as APS certificate / American College Test (ACT) / College Scholastic Ability Test / University Entrance Examination Center Test (simple copy) or other international educational achievements (simple copy) that constitute a university entrance qualification for Germany such as completed periods of studies; country-specific information:


_If you do not bring your own répétiteur to the qualifying examination, piano sheet music for the Folkwang répétiteur.

Aptitude test

The aptitude tests for the winter semester usually take place in May and the aptitude tests for the summer semester usually at the end of January. You will find the exact date at the top right of this page. Please note that you will have to be on site for the aptitude test

The exact examination requirements can be found in the following Qualifying Examination Regulations:


Nr. 280 | Ordnung zur Feststellung der studiengangsbezogenen künstlerischen Eignung für das Studienfach Musik im Masterstudiengang mit Lehramtsoption Haupt-, Real- und Gesamtschulen an der Folkwang Universität der Künste vom 28.09.2016 | 13.10.2016 (in German)


Only after you have successfully applied for a study place is your last step in the application process enrolment. Enrolment takes place at the end of September for the start of studies in October and at the end of March for the start of studies in April. Please refer to your letter of admission for the exact period.


You must provide the following document for enrolment:


_completed application for enrolment AND Folkwang Card (you received both applications together with your certificate of admission)

_Evidence of a German health insurance OR an exemption from the compulsory health insurance (i.e. recognition of your foreign health insurance by a statutory health insurance in Germany – refer to information provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in this regard)

_The original OR certified copy of the general university entrance qualification certificate (a certified German translation is essential for such certificates acquired abroad)

_If not already provided during the application procedure: Language qualification for the language entrance level required in the study course (only required if you did not acquire your university entrance qualification in Germany). The table provides you with an initial overview of all language requirements. Further information on language qualifications at Folkwang is available on the 'German as a foreign language (GFL)' page.

_Evidence of payment of the semester contribution