Application “Directing” (Artist Diploma)
On this page you will find information on the application and the aptitude test as well as on the documents you will need to provide at the time of enrolment, if your application is successful.
Application | Registration
For the study course “Directing” you will need the following documents:
- Application to participate in the qualifying examination (For applications to start in the summer semester 2021 the form is open from 1. October (NEW!) to the deadline on 15. November.)
- One passport photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm)
- Leaving certificate (simple copy) of last attended school
- Where applicable leaving certificate or certificate of enrolment of your former university/ies
- Receipt for payment of the application fee (bank statement)
- If applicable, certificate of foreign university entrance examination such as APS certificate / American College Test (ACT) / College Scholastic Ability Test / University Entrance Examination Center Test (simple copy) or other international educational achievements (simple copy) that constitute a university entrance qualification for Germany such as completed periods of studies; country-specific information: http://anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html
Please note: We must have received your application documents in paper form not later than the application deadline November 15th (for the following summer semester).
For your application a fee of € 50 is due.
If you apply for multiple study courses simultaneously, the fee is € 50 for the first application and € 15 for every additional study course. The amount will be automatically calculated and shown to you in the application form.
The aptitude test usually takes place in January. Please note that you will have to be on site for the aptitude test.
The aptitude test is a multi-stage process in which a candidate can be eliminated after each examination round.
After the application deadline you will be asked to produce a written assignment (answering questions and a directing concept). The submission deadline will be about 4 weeks later.
All applicants who are deemed apt, will be invited to take part in the aptitude test on-site. The second round involves an oral examination, which consists of a colloquium of up to 45 minutes duration.
The third round encompasses a practical examination with three parts:
1. Performance of two role excerpts of own choice
2. Presentation on a given topic (max. 10 mins.)
3. Directing exercise on a given scene with one-two student(s) of the acting study course (max. 30 mins.) (The text will be handed out at the oral examination if its outcome warrants a continuation of the adjudication process.)
After the practical examination optionally a colloquium in form of a reflection talk will be held.
Documents for enrolment
- Completed application form for enrolment (send to you by mail after having successfully passed the aptitude test)
- Completed application form for Folkwang Card (send to you by mail after having successfully passed the aptitude test)
- Proof of existing health insurance
- Certified copy of leaving certificate of your last attended school (certified translation where applicable)
- Evidence of sufficient language skills, if you did not acquire your qualification for university entrance in Germany
- Proof of payment of the social contribution
If you have any questions regarding the enrolment process, please contact: