Jazz | Performing Artist (Bachelor of Music)

Basic info & Application

  • Faculty: 1
  • Degree: Bachelor of Music (B.Mus.)
  • Standard period of study: 8 semesters full-time (part-time study is possible)
  • Workload: 240 ECTS Credits
  • Language of instruction: German
  • Provider: Folkwang University of the Arts
  • Programme start: Each winter semester in October

Study options (Main subjects)

The following instruments/specialisations can be choosen as main subject:


_Jazz voice
_Jazz electric bass
_Jazz guitar
_Jazz piano
_Jazz double bass
_Jazz trombone
_Jazz saxophone
_Jazz drums/percussion
_Jazz trumpet
_Jazz violin


_Composition/Arrangement - In combination with one of the main subjects listed above.

_Important note: For the main subject "Composition/Arrangement" there are currently no free capacities and therefore no applications are possible.

Admission requirements

_Evidence of qualification for entry (general university entrance certificate). Official database on the equivalence of international educational achievements:


_Evidence of artistic aptitude or outstanding artistic talent respectively by passing the aptitude test at the Folkwang University of the Arts.


_Applicants without a general university entrance certificate may also be admitted, provided that they exhibit outstanding artistic talent (see "Rahmeneignungsprüfungsordnung" Nr. 399 §8)

Language requirements

_Applicants have to verify proof of language level A2 with enrolment.


_The required levels of language skills at Folkwang University of the Arts are in accordance to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).


_For questions regarding language certificates, please contact Stefanie Melters (melters(at)


_50 € application feeFor your application a fee of € 50 is due. If you apply for multiple study courses simultaneously, the fee is € 50 for the first application and € 15 for every additional study course. The amount will be automatically calculated and shown to you in the application form.


_No tuition fees are charged at Folkwang.


_Each semester all students have to pay a social contribution for the services of the Student Union, a student contribution for the work of the AStA (General Student Committee) and the VRR/NRW ticket. A breakdown of the amounts plus information on how to pay is available here.

Application documents

Please note: We must have received your application documents in paper form not later than the application deadline March 15th (for the following winter semester).


For the study course “Jazz | Performing Artist (B.Mus.)” you will need the following documents:

_Application to participate in the qualifying examination (For applications to start in the winter semester the form is open from 15. January to the deadline on 15. March.)



_One passport photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm)

_Leaving certificate (simple copy) of last attended school

_Graduated students: Leaving certificate(s) (simple copy) 

_When changing the university/study programme or resuming your studies (in each of these cases) on the same study cycle with the same main subject (instrument/voice): Transcript of Records of the previous studies (simple copy)

_Receipt for payment of the application fee (bank statement)

_If applicable, certificate of foreign university entrance examination such as APS certificate / American College Test (ACT) / College Scholastic Ability Test / University Entrance Examination Center Test (simple copy) or other international educational achievements (simple copy) that constitute a university entrance qualification for Germany such as completed periods of studies; country-specific information:

Aptitude test (in german)

Die Eignungsprüfung für den Studiengang Jazz | Performing Artist findet in der Regel in den ersten Mai Wochen statt. Bitte beachten Sie, dass Sie hierfür persönlich vor Ort sein müssen.


Die Feststellung der künstlerischen Eignung besteht aus einer praktischen und einer theoreti­schen Prüfung:


I. Praktische Prüfung im künstlerischen Hauptfach – „Jazz/Performing Artist“

Es sind zwei von drei vorbereiteten Stücken eigener Wahl und unterschiedlicher Tempi aus dem Bereich des Jazz und angrenzender Stilistiken mit Thema und Improvisation vorzutragen. Eines dieser Stücke muss ein Jazz-Standard sein. Die Fähigkeiten im Vom- Blatt-Spiel bzw. Singen werden anhand vorgegebener Musikbeispiele geprüft. Die Prüfungsdauer beträgt etwa 15 Minuten. Begleitmusiker werden gestellt (aktuelle Studierende).


II. Musiktheorie -„Jazz-Performing Artist“

Es sind Fähigkeiten zum hörenden Erkennen (Gehörbildung) und grundlegende Jazztheoretische Kenntnisse nachzuweisen. Der Bereich der Gehörbildung umfasst das Erkennen von Intervallen, Skalen, Harmonien und einfachen Akkordverbindungen. Im theoretischen Bereich werden Fragen zu Skalen- und Akkordbildung sowie zu grundlegenden funktionsharmonischen Zusammenhängen gestellt. Die theoretische Prüfung erfolgt im Anschluss an die praktische Prüfung des künstlerischen Hauptfaches.


Anforderungen für die Eignungsprüfung (Bachelor_Fachbereich 1) - (Bitte beachten Sie, dass sich die Anforderungen für zukünftige Eignungsprüfungen ändern können)


Only after you have successfully applied for a study place is your last step in the application process enrolment. Enrolment takes place at the end of September for the start of studies in October and at the end of March for the start of studies in April. Please refer to your letter of admission for the exact period and information on the procedure.


You must provide the following document for enrolment:


_completed application for enrolment AND Folkwang Card (you received both applications together with your certificate of admission)

_Evidence of a German health insurance OR an exemption from the compulsory health insurance (i.e. recognition of your foreign health insurance by a statutory health insurance in Germany – refer to information provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in this regard)

_The original OR certified copy of the general university entrance qualification certificate (a certified German translation is essential for such certificates acquired abroad)

_If not already provided during the application procedure: Language qualification for the language entrance level required in the study course (only required if you did not acquire your university entrance qualification in Germany). The table provides you with an initial overview of all language requirements. Further information on language qualifications at Folkwang is available on the 'German as a foreign language (GFL)' page.

_Evidence of payment of the semester contribution