Founding of the “Essen School of Trades and Applied Arts“ (name changed to “Folkwang School of Design” in 1928).
Founding of the “Folkwang School of Music, Dance and Speech”.
Musicians, dancers and actors move into former Benedictine Abbey at Essen-Werden.
Re-opening of the Design branch, also in the Benedictine Abbey at Essen-Werden.
Founding of the Society of Friends and Sponsors of the Folkwang Schools (Gesellschaft der Freunde und Förderer der Folkwangschulen, GFFF).
“Folkwang School of Music, Theatre and Dance” is upgraded to university level.
Folkwang Hochschule taken under the sponsorship of the State of NRW.
Designers leave the Folkwang, after many joint protests, and are incorporated into the newly founded Gesamthochschule University in Essen.
Duisburg School of Music / Conservatorium incorporated into the Folkwang Hochschule, and becomes Faculty 4 in1988.
Occupation of the old auditorium; non-stop concert prevents demolition.
Completion and inauguration of the new auditorium.
Integration of the Westphalia Acting School in Bochum as the Bochum Acting course.
Comprehensive reforms give a distinctive profile to each of the Essen, Duisburg and Bochum locations.
Opening of the small concert hall in Duisburg.
Opening of the White Mill (for musicals) in Essen-Werden.
Dortmund becomes the fourth Folkwang location with Orchesterzentrum NRW, a joint establishment of the four NRW music universities.
The designers return to the Folkwang Hochschule from the University of Duisburg-Essen after 35 years. From January 2008, budgetary and human resources for the Industrial Design and Communication Design courses are integrated.
New Art Colleges Act passed in NRW.
All 27 courses are reorganised into modules.
_Official opening of the newly constructed orchestral centre “Orchesterzentrum NRW” in Dortmund in April.
_ As of January 1st, the SANAA Building becomes a Folkwang University facility.
_In April, Folkwang is renamed Folkwang University of the Arts.
_Maiken-Ilke Groß / September 2010